[X Newbies] Garage Band

Paul Baily mglists at paulbaily.com
Wed Apr 28 19:59:11 PDT 2004

On 29/04/2004, at 11:13 am, J wrote:

> Paul, I tried this and it did not work. It seems to be looking for the
> app not a saved thing. I tried saving a project before.
> Also, those files for the loops are in the general HD Library not
> users.

Yes, that's the correct place (that's why I put "/Library" and not
"~/Library" - ~ denotes the user's home directory; sorry, I should have
been more clear on that.)

> The exact message I get is: 'Cannot find
> Users/username/Music/GarageBand"
> Please make sure directory exists. (IT DOES!)

Strange. At the risk of asking the obvious we are looking at what the
Mac thinks is the home folder rather than what the user says it is? ie.
when you're logged in as that user and do a cmd-shift-H, that's the
folder it's using as home. Could be that the user has (somehow) renamed
their original home folder, and has forgotten to tell you that? The
newly named folder might look like the right one, but if that's what
has happened, the Mac will have created a new home folder using the
account short name. Just speculating here, you understand. Either way,
cmd-shift-H in finder (or cd ~ in terminal) should verify which is the
actual home folder and therefore where GarageBand is looking.

After that, it's difficult to say what's going on from this picture so
I'd agree with Scott, it may be quicker to just dig out the GarageBand
DVD/CDs and try a reinstall.

cheers,

Paul.