Modem Test in X

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Fri Apr 30 06:53:04 PDT 2004

On Apr 29, 2004, Bob Geiger wrote:

> I connect with a cable modem and want to test the built in modem on my
> G4. Is there a modem test in the terminal ap?

Wait a minute! The built-in modem is for telephone connections, at
56Kbps.

The cable modem is for digital cable to ethernet, which is completely
different.
Just connect a data cable (Cat 5 ethernet) from the cable modem to the
G4.

Only use the "built in modem" for dial-up connections. (BTW, note that
the
connector on your G4 is a four wire RJ11 jack; though the cable modem
connector looks almost the same, it isn't. It's a six conductor RJ45
jack.)

Jon