[X-Newbies] Game Opens to EULA, Fails in User Acc'ts

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Fri Dec 31 18:01:41 PST 2004

Hello all:

How can I make a game application open in the admin account without
seeing the EULA.  How can I make it open in the user accounts?

Running OS X 10.3.7 on QuickSilver G4/733.  Ran Repair Permissions
after getting the problem.

I installed four games for the grandkids, Zoo Tycoon with Marine Mania
expansion set, Harry Potter (2 games), and Finding Nemo.  In the Admin
account, all run fine, but the Zoo Tycoon opens only with the license
agreement statement each time saying:  "This product will not run on
your computer until you accept the terms of the EULA."  After hitting
the accept button, the next message requests the insertion of the
Marine Mania CD.

In the user accounts, all except Zoo Tycoon run.  The error message is:
  "Zoo Tycoon cannot be played from a locked or write protected volume.
You may want to re-install Zoo Tycoon on an unlocked volume to fix this
problem."

OK, the volume is unlocked and not write protected.  In the admin
account, the Get Info window for the application icon shows the Locked
box unchecked.  In the Ownership & Permissions with Details all entries
show Read & Write, except that the Owner and Group entries are greyed
out as long as the padlock is closed.  This looks normal compared to
other 3rd party apps.  But in the user accounts, all entries are greyed
out for Zoo Tycoon, while the entries for other apps look normal.

Thanks in advance,

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.