Trouble starting up Classic mode

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 6 12:11:38 PST 2004

I've used OSX for about a year now on my Sawtooth 400 and haven't had
any trouble at all.  Now as of yesterday I can't start Classic mode
from OSX. I can't imagine what I might have done to cause this.

OSX and OS9 are installed on separate drives.

I can start OS 9.2.2 fine from the drive it's on, but when I try to
start Classic from OSX, the little window opens and it proceeds until
the blue line gets to about 4mm from the end then stops and hangs.  Up
until now it normally takes about 3 minutes to complete the start-up.
But now it literally just hangs there.   I can abort the Classic
start-up with the button in the window, so it's not completely numb.

If I go to the Advanced Classic Preferences pane and click on Start
with extensions off. It starts up quickly with no problem.  So it
appears that I (all of a sudden) have an extension conflict that
hanging things up.

This is odd, as I don't have an extension conflict when OS 9.2.2 starts
up and is operating.   I can live with the current situation I think,
but I'd sure like to know  what has happened or what I might have done
in error. I can't recall having fooled around with anything in the OS
recently that might have caused this.

Any ideas or suggestions for how to fix or further diagnose this?

Thanks,
John
Peaks Island, ME