Trouble starting up Classic mode

Chris Foote foote at chem.ucla.edu
Sat Feb 7 09:32:57 PST 2004

>Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 15:11:38 -0500
>Subject: [X Newbies]
>From: John Erdman <jperdman at earthlink.net>
>
>I've used OSX for about a year now on my Sawtooth 400 and haven't had
>any trouble at all.  Now as of yesterday I can't start Classic mode
>from OSX. I can't imagine what I might have done to cause this.
>
>OSX and OS9 are installed on separate drives.
>
>I can start OS 9.2.2 fine from the drive it's on, but when I try to
>start Classic from OSX, the little window opens and it proceeds until
>the blue line gets to about 4mm from the end then stops and hangs.  Up
>until now it normally takes about 3 minutes to complete the start-up.
>But now it literally just hangs there.   I can abort the Classic
>start-up with the button in the window, so it's not completely numb.
>
>If I go to the Advanced Classic Preferences pane and click on Start
>with extensions off. It starts up quickly with no problem.  So it
>appears that I (all of a sudden) have an extension conflict that
>hanging things up.
>
>This is odd, as I don't have an extension conflict when OS 9.2.2 starts
>up and is operating.   I can live with the current situation I think,
>but I'd sure like to know  what has happened or what I might have done
>in error. I can't recall having fooled around with anything in the OS
>recently that might have caused this.
>
>Any ideas or suggestions for how to fix or further diagnose this?
>
>Thanks,
>John
>Peaks Island, ME

1. Make sure you have removed all no-Apple extensions and control
panels from the Calssic system folder.
2. THen remove the extensions that OS X puts in:
Classic
Classic support
Classic Support UI
3. Start up Classic and it will put those back in. Probably one of
them is corrupted.
Chris

Christopher S. Foote                      |Internet:foote at chem.ucla.edu
5505C Molecular Science                   |Phone:(310)-825-1409
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry  |FAX:  (310)-206-1843
University of California, Los Angeles     |
CA 90095-1569                             |
  http://www.chem.ucla.edu/dept/Organic/CSF_Brochure.html