Installing OS 9 over OS X10.2

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Feb 11 10:51:46 PST 2004

> From: rbgeiger at optonline.net
> I recently bought a used iMacDV400 that came with Jaguar installed and
> no version of OS 9. My question is this. Whats the bess way I can
> install a version of OS 9 on the hard drive which has not been
> partioned?

1. Obtain a retail copy of OS 9 (Smalldog, Megamacs, etc)
2. Install OS 9 just as you normally would (booting from the retail OS
9 CD) -- just don't choose any "Erase and install" option.
3. After installation, reboot the machine (which will probably boot
into OS X like normal). Change the startup drive to the OS 9 folder and
reboot.
4. Update your OS 9 to the latest version. Once that's done, reset the
startup disk to OS X. Reboot.
5. In OS X, go to System Preferences -> Classic and identify the OS 9
folder. It will probably say something about needing to install
resources in order to use that folder for Classic. Click OK and that
should take care of it.

_Chas_

Mnemonic of the Year: ABBA -- Anybody But Bush Again.
http://www.abbaparty.com