[X Newbies] I would like to move my user files onto another disk / Copy Mac os X

VS vs1 at dax.nu
Thu Feb 19 06:09:17 PST 2004

At 10.02 +0100 04-02-19, Cyril Blanc wrote:
>Hello,
>
>  I would like to move my user files and my swap files onto another disks ; I
>have tried but I have protection problems.
>
>     How can I do it ?

I copied my swap files to another partition with the help of SwapCop.
This was a year ago (under 10.1.5), so I leave it to you to find if
the program is still valid. But I strongly hope that you know what
you are doing before you start moving swap files around, as this is a
very fundamental part of how the OS works. This is not something to
do on a whim... It worked fine for me, though, but when I updated my
OS to 10.3 the swap disk was yet again the same as the OS, but this
time the disk was much larger so now I haven't moved it again. Also
it seems that 10.3 treats swapfiles different than 10.1.5. These can
grow much bigger than 74 MB...

>- There was a utility to copy the Mac OS X system onto another disk

This must be Carbon Copy Cloner. Very useful thing...

For location of all mentioned apps do a search on
http://www.versiontracker.com/.

/ Vicki