[X Newbies] I would like to move my user files onto another disk / Copy Mac os X

Cyril Blanc blanc.cyril at wanadoo.fr
Thu Feb 19 08:08:14 PST 2004

Hello,

Thanks your very much for your answer.

I am in 10.3.3 on a G5 2x2.

I had also a problem with a Console.log file that grow up to 1 GB. That was
a loop in a software I am using.

That's why I want to move all those files to a different volume so I can
easily defrag and watch.

May be that could be added to MAC OS.

On 2/19/04 3:09 PM, "VS" <vs1 at dax.nu> wrote:

> At 10.02 +0100 04-02-19, Cyril Blanc wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>>  I would like to move my user files and my swap files onto another disks ; I
>> have tried but I have protection problems.
>>
>>     How can I do it ?
>
> I copied my swap files to another partition with the help of SwapCop.
> This was a year ago (under 10.1.5), so I leave it to you to find if
> the program is still valid. But I strongly hope that you know what
> you are doing before you start moving swap files around, as this is a
> very fundamental part of how the OS works. This is not something to
> do on a whim... It worked fine for me, though, but when I updated my
> OS to 10.3 the swap disk was yet again the same as the OS, but this
> time the disk was much larger so now I haven't moved it again. Also
> it seems that 10.3 treats swapfiles different than 10.1.5. These can
> grow much bigger than 74 MB...
>

>> - There was a utility to copy the Mac OS X system onto another disk
>
> This must be Carbon Copy Cloner. Very useful thing...
>
> For location of all mentioned apps do a search on
> http://www.versiontracker.com/.
>
> / Vicki

Thanks

Best regards

Cyril Blanc
Independent Quantum Leap Symphony orchestra forum (QLSO) for Mac
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/qlso/"