[X Newbies] Epson 740 Utility and Panther Problem

Albert D'Amanda adamanda at mac.com
Thu Jan 1 10:06:43 PST 2004

On Jan 1, 2004, at 10:35 AM, Jon Warms wrote:

> What does this mean? I have a G5 that also cannot boot into classic,
> but it
> most certainly has classic installed.

My Power Mac G4 1.25GHz  DP (FW 800) ,  Model M8840LL/A was delivered
ONLY with  system OS X pre-installed at the Factory . The
Specifications on this specific model G4 clearly  stated that the
firmware for this machine was so configured that  OS9.1 System Software
( needed for  Classic ) could not be installed . That is, it wouldl not
boot up  an OS9.1 Installation disc.

For this I was able to get $400 off the Apple Store listed price( from
MacMall)

I had previously updated all of  my software Applications on my old G3
B&W to be  OSX specific; "retiring" all my pre OSX applications anyway.
I found Classic to be a big- pain -in -the- A**.

> Didn't the full Panther install you did, also install classic?

You  need to have OS9.1 installed to have " Classic"

Panther 10.3  does install a Classic Pane in the System Pane in  System
preferences, but does not install OS9.1 System Software

BY THE WAY
It is my understanding that the way these Power mac machines operate,
Operating System Installations are not backward compatible. That is, a
OS9.1 Installation disc will not boot up on a machine that has OS10.1
installed.
In my specific case , with Panther 10.3 installed I could not boot up
using an Jaguar OS10.2 Installation Disc.

albert