[X Newbies] Classic Startup

Norman Cohen nacohen at mac.com
Sat Jan 3 18:07:15 PST 2004

No, it's not normal, at least on my 800 TiBook. If you click the little
triangle during classic start up, it will show a screen like you used
to see when booting OS 9. You'll see the various icons for the
extensions loading. Seeing where it is slowing down on the boot process
may give you a hint what's going on. Also, look in the classic
preference pane. You can do some maintenance like rebuilding the
classic desktop file, or booting with extensions off or open extensions
manager to control what extensions are loaded. It's important to turn
off third party extensions if you are seeing slow classic startup, then
add them back in until you find your culprit.

Good luck,

Norm

On Jan 3, 2004, at 5:58 PM, Lynn Persing wrote:

> I just installed OS X.3 on my boyfriend's machine and I have a
> question about Classic mode.  How long does it normally take to start
> up?  It is painfully long.  It loads 95% of it fairly quick but the
> last little bit of the startup takes about 4 or 5 minutes.  Is this
> normal?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Lynn
Norman Cohen
nacohen at mac.com

"There are a terrible lot of lies going around the world, and the worst
of it is half of them are true."
Sir Winston Churchill