[X Newbies] Disk Utility/RESOLVED

Bruce Klutchko klutch at erols.com
Tue Jan 20 06:14:33 PST 2004

On 1/20/04 12:23 AM, "W Lane" <wilann at telusplanet.net> wrote:

> Which brings up an interesting issue, and one that can be argued
> forever. In my experience, folks who are new to computing SHOULD
> partition their Mac so that 9 and X are identifiably separated. I have
> had easily a dozen people do similar things. To them, Applications
> (OS9) and Applications are the same, so are System and System Folder. I
> have seen stuff end up allllllll over the place. Put 9 AWAY on it's
> own. Out of sight, out of mind.

A great idea, but one that might not work properly. Yesterday I ran into a
(temporary) problem that was very frustrating. In Panther, I set up a
managed user named "Guest" and decided to remove the program "System
Preferences" from the dock. Well, it didn't remove with the usual poof, and
the dialog asked for an admin password.

So I entered my password, tried to drag the program out of the dock, and it
landed on the desktop. No, not the dock icon. The real program. And I didn't
have "permissions" to put the program back into the proper folder. I hit
undo, and it didn't undo.

So I went back to my admin user login, and wondered was unable to access the
user's folder to move the application. So I decided to go to the Apple Menu
and run System Preferences, then use the dock to "show Application in
Finder".

Lo and behold, when I did this, the location of the program was on a
separate backup volume running Jaguar.

Fortunately, a more recent backup confirmed the proper location of this file
in the Applications folder and I temporarily gave Guest permissions to
modify the dock and then move the program back.

Just goes to show that even separate volumes for different OS'es wouldn't
necessarily isolate us from making inter-volume mistakes unless we keep
those separate volumes offline when not being used.
--
Bruce