[X Newbies] Linking Files to Applications [Was: Disk Utility/RESOLVED [TID]]

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Thu Jan 22 20:13:15 PST 2004

At 12:51 PM -0500 1/21/04, Alex wrote:
>There's some misunderstanding here.

Alex, you're wrong. She does not misunderstand you but you do her the
disservice of doubting her without trying the exercise.

A document which has not yet been assigned (such as one coming in as
an attachment), and whose extension is suffixed by the quote mark,
will not be assigned to an application. So her report as to what she
observed is entirely and demonstrably correct.

Try this: Create a new document in AppleWorks. Save it. Make sure the
extension (.cwk) is visible. Now, in the Finder, change the extension
to .doc. When prompted, confirm the switch. If you have MS Office
installed, the icon will change and the document will now be bound to
MS Word. Now change the extension to .doc". The icon will not change.
Change the extension once more - to .cwk". The icon will remain
unchanged. And one last change - remove the trailing quote, leaving
just .cwk. Voila! You'll be prompted and if you confirm the change,
the icon will be an AppleWorks document icon and the document will
open in that application when double-clicked.
--
You're giving me more facts? I don't want any more facts! I just want
to be left with what I believe! - G. Jeanniton