[X Newbies] Linking Files to Applications [Was: Disk Utility/RESOLVED [TID]]

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Fri Jan 23 06:30:01 PST 2004

On Thursday, Jan 22, 2004, at 23:13 Canada/Eastern, Vincent Cayenne
wrote:

> At 12:51 PM -0500 1/21/04, Alex wrote:
>> There's some misunderstanding here.
>
> Alex, you're wrong. She does not misunderstand you but you do her the
> disservice of doubting her without trying the exercise.

Leaving J alone, I believe you (too) misread my message.

> A document which has not yet been assigned (such as one coming in as
> an attachment), and whose extension is suffixed by the quote mark,
> will not be assigned to an application.

Indeed. However, the point I'm trying to make (I suggest reading my
post again) is that this is not relevant to _assigning a document to an
application using the Get Info dialogue_! J says this (using the Get
Info dialogue) didn't work for her. It should work, whether the file
name extension ends with a quote mark or not. If it doesn't, then
there's a problem.

> Now change the extension to .doc".

And may I suggest something for you to try. At this point, follow the
procedure detailed repeatedly in my posts (Get Info, etc.), and see
whether or not you can assign this document to whatever application you
wish.