BBC Radio/Need Real ten bucks/mo?

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Fri Jan 23 13:07:46 PST 2004

> From: John Park <JP at JohnParkComedy.com>
>
> I'm a big bbc radio fan,

A man of taste and distinction. :)

>  and before I upgraded to x, I could listen
> with real audio to the programs.  But when I went to the real audio
> website, unless I'm reading it wrong,  they're asking for a ten dollar
> a month subscribtion fee for the "super duper" real player that will
> work on os x and pull in the bbc.

You're reading it wrong, but it's not your fault. Real *hides* the free
OS X player.

If you go to the real.com home page (which is oriented to Mac if it
senses you are using a Mac browser), you will see in GRAY PRINT near
the bottom of the screen proclaiming a "free 14-day trial" of the paid
service a TEENY TINY url that says "Free RealOne Player for Mac OS X."

Follow that URL and download that player. It's free, no strings.

> Does anyone else listen to BBC and what setup works best for you?

I do, all the time. I use a program called Steam to get the schedules,
and I use either Wiretap (free) or Audio Hijack ($17) to make AIFF
files of the shows. I plan to buy a copy of Audio Hijack Pro ($30)
because it allows me to make MP3s on the fly, saving a LOT of disk
space.

Steam, Wiretap and AH/AHP can all be found at versiontracker.com or
macupdate.com, but if you want more info on the programs:

Wiretap: http://www.ambrosiasw.com
Audio Hijack/Pro: http://www.rogueamoeba.com
Steam: http://members.cox.net/flixtonsoftware/Steam/index.html

_Chas_

Mnemonic of the Year: ABBA -- Anybody But Bush Again.
http://www.abbaparty.com