[X Newbies] Utilities folder Was: One last question about this..

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Fri Jan 23 21:07:18 PST 2004

On Jan 22, 2004, at 11:17 AM, J wrote:

> Will moving the X Utilities folder from the OS 9 applications folder
> back to the OS X applications folder do any harm?
>
> The normal UNIX routines don't seem to work even if he leaves the
> computer on at night. I suspect because the folder is in the wrong
> place.

While the normal unix routines don't have any effect on his issue, they
are not related to the utilities folder at all. My first guess would
be: it's on, but asleep, in which case the cron jobs won't run.

BUT: the utilities folder should definitely be put back in
/applications, since Apple installers don't bother to look for the
location of, for instance, Disk Utility.app. They just blindly slap in
the updated files. Since OS X apps are mostly folders packaged to look
like applications (.app extension, so it's treated as an application
rather than a folder), they're still folders, so you might wind up with
what LOOKS like disk utility, but which only really contains a couple
of updated resource files.

Old-time users who are used to moving apps where they want them, and
new users who don't know any better anyway are most likely to be bitten
by this.

Whether or not this is correct installer behavior is a moot point for
purposes of this questions. From a support standpoint, the folder must
be put back, and the user taught not to move it, in order to prevent
further more serious problems. If your users don't mind doing archive
installs and manually removing old versions from wherever they put
them, then they can leave it as is. This is NOT recommended.

--
Scott