[X Newbies] Alternatives to Word/MS Office

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Sat Jan 24 02:33:17 PST 2004

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 09:17:35PM +1100, marina wrote:
:
: In general, by the time my (wp) files are complex enough to require
: perfect translation into Word files, I am hoping I'll be able to
: simply save as PDF, and share this format with Windoz users. And I
: understand AppleWorks saves as PDF from the print preview - is this
: correct?

AppleWorks does indeed have a "Save as PDF" button.  However, saving
documents as PDF files is a standard feature of OS X that every app can
tap into and use for free.  If your intention is to share your documents
as PDF files, then it doesn't really matter what word processing app you
choose to use to create those PDF files.

: I truly feel I have already given enough money to MS for the rest of
: my life, and I don't mind going to some trouble to avoid giving them
: more - if only there are ways... :-)

If you plan to share .doc files to Windoze users so that they can easily
edit the content, your safest best is to (unfortunately) buy M$ Office.
You can save money by buying the Student and Teacher Edition.  Also, if
you attend (or know someone who attends) a university that has a site
license for M$ Office, the prices are even cheaper.

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/