Ms office/Open office

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Sun Jan 25 12:02:57 PST 2004

> From: Christopher Hack <cjhack at onetel.net.uk>
>
> Following the discussions on alternatives to Ms Office. I would love
> to try
> using OpenOffice. However when I have read that the version for OSX
> requires
> "X11". I also read on a website it is advisable not to start trying to
> use
> X11 unless you know what you are doing.
> Can anyone explain to me why this is all so complicated, and if there
> eis
> anyway simply to download it and use it. Thanks. Chris.

It's not that it's complicated, it's not at all.

It's just that it's very ALIEN to Mac users.

I believe the URL for Apple's version of X11 is apple.com/macosx/x11.
You simply download and install it, then download and install
OpenOffice for OS X from openoffice.org. Launch the OpenOffice icon and
wait for a while, X11 will load and then load OpenOffice.

It's no more difficult than launching Classic to run an OS 9 app, but
be prepared -- you'll be working with a UNIX gui, one that prefers a
three-button mouse, one that is BUTT-UGLY compared to OS X.

_Chas_

Mnemonic of the Year: ABBA -- Anybody But Bush Again.
http://www.abbaparty.com