[X Newbies] Alternatives to Word/MS Office

marina marina at reliance.it
Sun Jan 25 18:02:30 PST 2004

  >And as far as I can tell, when it comes to basic spreadsheets
AppleWorks' ability to save in Excel format works flawlessly. I've
never had a single problem.

This is what I thought - but because what I have in mind are older
versions of ClarisWorks/AppleWorks, it's good to know that the new
version hasn't lost this ability.

Which reminds me - does AppleWorks support multiple sheet spreadsheets now?

  >You'd probably LOVE Keynote then. Check out www.apple.com/keynote

Thanks, I'll certainly do it (I don't need to use, and I'm not a fan
of presentation apps in general, though :-)

  >It's an email/PIM/calendar app -- it's really one of the best
things MS has ever produced for the Mac to be quite honest, but the
combination of Mail/iCal/Address Book/iSync beats it (just) IMHO.

Mail is going to be the next biggest challenge for me, I fear. Ten
years with Eudora have made me a very difficult customer for any
other email software....

  >Actually, in Mac OS X *all* applications that can print can create PDFs.

Thanks. This is something else I have just discovered (=been told
since I've been on this list) and it's great news.

Cheers,

marina