[X Newbies] Alternatives to Word/MS Office

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sun Jan 25 20:32:47 PST 2004

Marina said:

>> Having used it for many years, I find it a
>> nerve-wrecking tool, which wants to "do everything for me" with no
>> consideration for my real needs.

There is absolutely no reason why it has to be.  Every one of Word's
features can be easly turned off if you don't care for it.

If you are having a problem figuring out how to do this, please let me
know which feature(s) you need assistance with.

Generally, you can turn off objectionable autoformatting features under:

Format menu --> Autoformat... --> Options button -->

choose the tab(s) that you prefer, but most folks who are annoyed by
Word's automated features choose to change the settings under:

AutoFormat As You Type

I also like to turn off Word's Grammar checker and the Live Word Count
features.  I don't need either of these, and turning them off really
improves Word's performance.

I hope this helps.

Randy B. Singer

How To Deal With Common OS X 10.3 Panther Problems
http://www.macattorney.com/panther.html