[X Newbies] Unwanted default browser changing problem

Mark Taintor markwt at mac.com
Tue Jul 6 08:33:37 PDT 2004

On Tuesday, July 6, 2004, at 08:31  AM, matblack at mac.com wrote:

> Have you checked Opera's preferences?
> Perhaps there is a preference in Opera that instructs the program to
> reset the default browser...
>
> On Jul 6, 2004, at 5:29 AM, Eugene Lee wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 05, 2004 at 03:56:38PM -0500, Mark Taintor wrote:
>> :
>> : My wife, bless her heart, is having a hard time changing over to OS
>> : completely. As such, she continues to use Opera 5.0 run in Classic.
>> The
>> : problem is that whenever she opens Opera, it changes the computer's
>> : default browser to Opera. All that she has to do is open Opera and
>> the
>> : default browser changes to Opera. No going through System
>> Preferences.
>> : It just changes. I can reset the default browser in the System
>> Prefs,
>> : but as soon as Opera is opened the Pref changes. This doesn't happen
>> : when any other browser is opened, Classic or otherwise.
>> : Any thoughts on what I might do to stop this from happening?
>>
>> Use the OS X version of Opera?

Matt and Eugene,
Thanks for your replies. I did not find a preference that resets the
default browser, but I will look again more closely.
As far as using Opera OS X, I'll suggest that to her. Perhaps I may
need to break down and upgrade to Panther(I'm currently using 10.2.8)
in order to use its fast user switching capabilities. Then she can use
what she wants and it won't affect my preferences.
Does anyone else have a fix for my problem?
Thanks,
Mark

Mark Taintor
Chanhassen, MN USA