[X Newbies] Anti-Virus

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Jul 19 08:26:36 PDT 2004

Chris Walker said:

>I know that I am not affected by any of these but I can (I think) be a
>carrier.  Wanting to play nice I thought it might be useful to purchase
>AV software, which for OSX means Intego or Norton.
>
>Has anyone used either of these and how effective are they?
>Recommendations/suggestions anyone?

Intego's Virus Barrier is an excellent product, the best anti-viral
program for OS X in my humble opinion, but according to the folks at
Intego it does not look for or eliminate any Windows-only viruses.

Norton Anti-Virus does look for and eliminate at least some Windows-only
viruses, but many folks have reported that it causes unstability under OS
X.

Technically the Mac can be a carrier of Windows viruses, but since they
are entirely inactive under OS X (with the exception of macro viruses),
you would almost have to purposely send them to a Windows user to spread
them.  In other words, the stuff you have heard from Windows-users about
the Mac being a carrier and spreader of viruses is a load of garbage.

Windows viruses are the problem of Windows users.  With tens of thousands
of Windows viruses out there, any Windows user who is not running good,
and updated, virus software deserves what he/she gets, in my opinion.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html