[X Newbies] Wi-Fi SMTP

Gretchen Hayman gretchen at sedl.org
Wed Jul 28 08:09:47 PDT 2004

On Jul 27, 2004, at 23:02, Jane wrote:
> I think I just have to find out what ISP they use there in the
> station. We have our own board operator but he knows nothing about
> their internet set up. The wireless thing just works.

Hi,

I would check to make sure that the wireless LAN you are using permits
outgoing SMTP traffic on port 25 (or whatever port you have set for
your SMTP in Mail).  I've noticed some places that I've been have port
25 blocked, I guess to prevent spamming from those free hot spots.

One thing you could do, if you are so inclined, is to use Terminal to
try to telnet to your smtp server while on this wireless network.  This
will at least let you know whether it's _possible_ to connect or not
from the LAN you are on.

Here's the command I would use in Terminal:

telnet yoursmtp.yourdomain.com 25

The stuff below is similar to what you should see if you are successful
in connecting.  Domains and IP have been changed to protect the
innocent.  ^_^

mycomputer% telnet mysmtp.mydomain.org 25
Trying 123.45.67.89...
Connected to mysmtp.mydomain.org.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mysmtp.mydomain.org ESMTP Postfix

Hope this is helpful and not too scary for a newbies list.

--
gretchen