SSH

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Fri Jun 11 05:44:30 PDT 2004

Hi all,

In the near future I shall be working away from home and thought it might
be a good idea to look at SSH.  My remote machine will be a Lombard PBk
running OS9.2.2, although this may change if I can raise the dough for a
new one, with X 3.4 on the home machine.

My immediate thoughts are of security.  My router/firewall allows me to
map port calls to internal network machines, in this case port22 can be
mapped to my user machine's IP address.  An option is given to map port
22 to other ports - should this be done?  Does it offer any security benefits?

In general what are the security implications of leaving the home machine
open to remote access?

Any thoughts, comments, how-tos, pitfalls etc, would be appreciated.

cheers,

Chris