[X Newbies] Flaky Input

Jane TheMacintoshLady at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 19 05:54:59 PDT 2004

On Jun 19, 2004, at 2:07 AM, Paul Baily wrote:

> On 19/06/2004, at 2:57 pm, Jane wrote:
>
>> it doesn't work....typing
>
> Is this on a laptop or a desktop?

eMac

> What actions do you normally take to get things going again?

Plug/Unplug/Reboot but often I trash prefs from iChat when it's not
really the app at fault but some USB issue.

> There could be several possible causes so I'll run these by you just
> on the off-chance it's one of them:
>
> Is it that the keyboard has completely stopped responding? Is it
> specific to any applications? e.g. when you notice this condition,
> firing up a text editor and typing into a new document doesn't work?
> If it's an external keyboard, is normal function restored when you
> unplug then re-connect the keyboard/mouse from the Mac? Do you have
> any other USB devices that could be suspects? e.g. USB hub, iSub, Zip
> drive, printer, camera?

The mouse has always done this since the computer was new and does it
when nothing is connected..........I thought 10.2.8 fixed it. Sometimes
I plug the mouse directly into the computer and that helps. The key
board is really what is quitting cuz I see the cursor but typing
produces no input.

> If it's a laptop and you're using the built-in keyboard then (funny
> though it sounds) it could be that num lock is on. I've had a client
> get caught out several times like this; the num lock LED isn't obvious
> and when it's on it's just like the keyboard isn't responding. Most
> keys won't do anything, and all you get are the numbers and the keypad
> characters. By design, but a bit of a trap.

Laptop works fine. Ti/500  Laptop has Panther on it.