[X Newbies] Flaky Input

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Jun 21 02:14:37 PDT 2004

Charles Martin said:

>> From: "Chris Walker" <chris at mymac.demon.co.uk>
>> Since we have strayed into the area of disk Utilities, what would you
>> suggest as the best one to use for de-fragging a Disk.
>
>Nothing. Panther does this by itself to a limited extent, and the OS is
>designed to cope with it.

Panther handles file fragmentation (programs broken up into bits all over
the drive), but it is still subject to a lot of disk fragmentation (space
between files on the drive).  All that you have to do is run a file
defragmentation program that gives you a map of fragmentation prior to
defragmenting to see it.

If you get a lot of disk fragmentation, you will eventually run out of
free contiguous space on the drive for virtual memory and the like.

Randy B. Singer

A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five.
-Groucho Marx