[X Newbies] Laser Printer Deal That I Found

Randy B. Singer randy at macattorney.com
Mon Jun 21 22:42:53 PDT 2004

Vincent Cayenne said:

>>You must check if it is an Adobe Postscript or a clone ;-)
>
>Are there currently *any* consumer printers that license the
>"genuine" article?

None of the big players do.  Until recently Lexmark used real Adobe
Postscript, but I just checked and even their most expensive laser
printer now has emulation.

Not Lexmark, not HP, not Brother.

GCC still uses real Adobe Postscript. (Then again, they are selling the
same printers that they sold 15 years ago, and they are selling them at
two to three times what competing printers are going for.)

>Is it relevant any more?

I haven't heard a single person complain about Postscript errors and
inaccuracies due to Postscript emulation in over a decade.

Randy B. Singer

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in
practice, there is."
     - Jan L.A. van de Snepscheut