Mail not collecting mail

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Wed Mar 3 11:11:52 PST 2004

> From: Renita Williams <rmmwms at att.net>
>
> This is an interesting question.  Two days ago I was not receiving mail
> and somehow I stumbled upon the fact that I was in the "offline" mode.
> Yet, I know I didn't change any settings.  I too wondered if somehow a
> bug in mail had triggered the change.  Coincidently, this happened
> after a day when my cable internet service had been frequently
> interrupted.  Wonder if there was any connection?

For the benefit of everyone in this thread:

When, for whatever reason, Mail cannot get a response from your ISP
and/or .Mac mail service, it automatically goes into "offline" mode and
stays there till you manually get mail again and it's successful.

This is not a "bug." It is perfectly normal behaviour.

The problem with Mail is that the "flag" that appears next to your "In"
box icon is GRAY and thus very hard to see -- it doesn't help that it's
also very tiny. If you click on the icon it will go back into "online"
mode again. Apple should really make this warning flag a brighter
colour like orange so that we can glance at the screen and see
immediately what the problem is. THAT'S the bug here.

_Chas_

Mnemonic of the Year: ABBA -- Anybody But Bush Again.
http://www.abbaparty.com