[X Newbies] Sharing a usb printer between 2 macs

John Erdman jperdman at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 5 02:39:45 PST 2004

I've never heard of a "splitter" option for USB maybe others have.

The simplest way of course would be to move the USB wire to the printer
back in forth between the computers.

To get a little more sophisticated you could create a small 2-computer
ethernet. You could simply connect the two computers with an Ethernet
cable and have one computers be the host connected to the printer via
USB wire.  But you need special drivers to do this. My Canon and Epson
printers came wiith drivers to handle this arrangement.  See the Apple
Knowledge Base for exact instruction for doing this setup.

If the Samsung has an ethernet port then the easiest would be to
connect it to the Ethernet too.

John
Peaks Island