[X Newbies] Sharing a usb printer between 2 macs

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Fri Mar 5 07:12:23 PST 2004

On Friday, Mar 5, 2004, at 01:04 Canada/Eastern, Gen Hadlow Mac Impact
Dbn wrote:

> Is there a way to share a Samsung ML1210 printer with a G4 and an
> iBook?
> Ibook is on system 10.3.2 and G4 still on system 9

You can use USB printer sharing, which is designed specifically for
this purpose. Check your Help and the Apple Knowledge Base for
instructions.

> Isn't a 2 port USB splitter available so that one could run usb cables
> from
> each device to the splitter? Something like a "usb network"?

You most definitely do not want a splitter. Nor would a hub (the true
USB equivalent of a splitter) serve. You are looking for a USB
switchbox. I haven't seen any manual USB switchboxes (they may exist);
I have seen automatic switchboxes, but all are designed for Windows
(doesn't mean that there aren't any for the Mac). However, all of them
are relatively expensive (e.g., USD 50). If you're using ML1210,
they're not really worth it.

There are other possibilities as well, such as parallel-to-USB
adapters, or print servers (a router-cum-print server is an elegant
solution). But it's question of budget and needs.