[X Newbies] disk drive won't accept CD

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Fri Mar 19 13:16:07 PST 2004

On Friday, Mar 19, 2004, at 13:11 Canada/Eastern, Jennifer Thomas wrote:

> I'm not sure what you mean by the "drive tray won't close", but what's
> happening is
> I can put the CD part way in the slot, but it doesn't "give".  The
> slot doesn't suck it in.

Perhaps we should get straight what machine and what drive you're
talking about.

> My Mac OSX.2.8  G3  CD-ROM drive won't accept a CD

Usually, the Macs described as "G3" are the PowerMac G3, the G3
Minitower, the All-in-one G3, and the Blue-and-White G3 (see
<http://www.apple-history.com> or <http://www.mactracker.ca>). To my
knowledge, none came with a slot drive. From your description, I'd
guess you're really talking about an iMac SL or iMac DV SL. I'd further
guess the drive needs to be replaced, or at least cleaned and
lubricated by a professional; at any rate, it's not a software problem.