Editing MP3s

Bobbo bobbo924 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 22 06:25:29 PST 2004

Steve asked:

>I grab some great music from the Net using StreamRipperX. The stuff I
>like [WUMB Boston] arrives as one long title. Is there any inexpensive
>OS X tool for saving selections -- mark start, mark end -- as new MP3s?

Matthew replied:

>you should pay for music. period.

Your heart is in the right place. But I believe that, for a long time, it's
been permissible to record broadcast material "for later viewing or
listening." This is considered fair use as long as that use is personal
enjoyment only. As a recording studio owner, I have great respect for
licensing fees and the ethics involved in using other people's music. So if
Steve is planning, say, to use these in a film, he's asking for trouble.
But if he's just listening to the music, not copying it from another user,
not distributing it, he's probably in the clear. I believe this came from
case law involving taping movies off HBO for personal use.

In general, you're quite right. Pay for music - and I do, either in the
store of via the Apple Music Store. Paying for music keeps music coming. It
was the "period" that prompted this addendum.

Regrettably, since I still do my audio editing in OS9, I don't have an
answer for Steve. Expensive programs, yes (relatively expensive, anyway).
I'd go to Versiontracker or Download.com and search on mp3 editing.

Art, pet and human portraits: http://www.bobbogoldberg.com
Voice Over website: http://www.bob-vo.com
And don't forget: do good works for free at http://www.thehungersite.com