[X Newbies] Itunes...

Vincent Cayenne vcayenne at mac.com
Sat Mar 27 16:23:47 PST 2004

At 12:14 PM -0500 3/27/04, Alex wrote:
>A succinct account of the story can be found at
><http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/software/cddb_wsj_12.31.01.pdf>, and
>it's endorsed by Ti Kan, who started it all. What the article
>doesn't cover is the fact that a highly significant fraction of the
>value of CDDB was due to volunteer contributors. In other words,
>those who reaped the profits of the sale of CDDB reaped the profits
>of unpaid labour.

Thanks for the article. Matter-of-factly, well-written. And I concur
with your take on it. I'm sure that I admire the vision and
initiative of the originators but I feel certain that the value added
by the submitters was significant and "under-rewarded". But then, I
suppose one can entertain similar reservations about the business
model of efforts like MacFixit, and the purchase of the Deja News
Usenet archives, and so on. It seems that we've come to tacitly
accept that the aggregator owns the individuals' contributions (and
yet avoids responsibility for any downside to that content). Am I
ranting yet <g>?
--
"It has become appallingly obvious that our technology has exceeded
our humanity."