[X Newbies] OS stability

marina marina at reliance.it
Wed Mar 31 06:17:01 PST 2004

On 31/3/04 [dmy], Alex wrote:
 >The technical term for MS's dominance of the personal
 >computer market is oligopoly.

No. This is plain wrong. Oligopoly implies a plurality of dominant subjects
(market players in this case). Few they must be (oligos), but still more
than one.

However, honestly, I couldn't care less what we want to call it. What
really concerns me, is that we are here because we are Mac users, and
instead of  offering each other support and reassurance that the (not
necessarily easy) choice we've made is the right one for us, there are so
many among us who spend their time disseminating fear, uncertainty and
doubt.

Interesting that Eugene mentioned FUD - I only received this digest after
my previous post (so maybe I should count three now ;-), and FUD had come
out while discussing with James the appalling amount of negative comments
that had been previously made about OS X, on this very list.

There is nothing worse than magnifying the detail to lose track of the
general picture. And in the general picture, in case you haven't noticed,
there is only one market player that stands to gain from disseminating FUD
among those few who have not been sucked in by the tide (yet).

Maybe then, we're not all Mac users, and someone has joined this list "on a
mission"??

marina