[X Newbies] Setting up Mysql for use with OS Commerce.

Eugene Lee list-themacintoshguy at fsck.net
Thu May 6 11:59:09 PDT 2004

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 01:35:22PM -0400, Lee Sargent wrote:
: Eugene wrote:
: >
: > 2) Make sure osCommerce is configured with the correct settings to
: > access MySQL, i.e. hostname ("localhost"?), database name, the MySQL
: > username and password.
:
: Now I am hosting this web site locally In the documents folder of apache.
:
: When I start the install.php file for oscommerce, I don't import a database
: so I unselect that option and I select save configuration.
:
: The next page configures itself  WWW address ( http://127.0.0.1/catalog/ ),
: Webserver root directory ( /library/webserver/documents/catalog ), http
: cookie domain ( 127.0.0.1 and http cookie path ( /catalog/ )
:
: I don't change any of that and so I contine on to the next page and I this
: is where I am currently confused.
:
: It asks for the Database Server the options for that are hostname or
: Ip address.  Then comes the username, password, database name and
: session storage options.
:
: This is where I must have to have a database.  Do I make the database
: use Filemaker Pro 6?  What about this host name or IP address.  Where
: do I put this database once I have created it?

There's no reason to even mention Filemaker Pro, since you are trying to
get MySQL working.  Since MySQL is local, the hostname is "localhost".
To create a user account, do something like this in the MySQL command
line interface:

	shell> mysql --user=root mysql
	mysql> GRANT SELECT,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE,CREATE,DROP
	->     ON dbname.*
	->     TO 'username'@'localhost'
	->     IDENTIFIED BY 'password';

where "dbname", "username", and "password" are yours to invent.

	http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Adding_users.html

Then create database itself:

	mysql> CREATE DATABASE dbname;

Sidenote: setting up MySQL and osCommerce is *not* a newbies question!

--
Eugene Lee
http://www.coxar.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/