Hard Drive: Master/Slave

Lynn Persing lpersing at adelphia.net
Sat May 8 05:56:24 PDT 2004

I recently bought a 120GB hard drive for my G4 400Mhz Sawtooth.  I
put it in my system and set it to slave.  I left the factory 20GB in
there set to master.  I want to install Panther soon as my main
operating system leaving 9 on the 20GB as backup.  I'll also install
9.2.2 on the slave drive because I still have some programs that will
need to start up classic to run.

Will this set up work?  Is there any problem with running X as the
main operating system from a slave drive as long as I set that drive
as the boot drive?  Or should I change the jumpers on the two drives
and make the 120 GB the master and the factory 20GB the slave?

I haven't formatted the 120GB yet, as I thought I'd use the OS X disk
to partition it when I install.

Thanks,

Lynn