[X Newbies] Hard Drive: Master/Slave

Alex alist at sprint.ca
Sat May 8 07:56:03 PDT 2004

On Saturday, May 8, 2004, at 08:56 Canada/Eastern, Lynn Persing wrote:

> I recently bought a 120GB hard drive for my G4 400Mhz Sawtooth.  I put
> it in my system and set it to slave.[...]

I don't recall the setting for your Mac; I'd check the Setup Guide
manual which came with the machine. Newer Macs use cable select, but I
think yours used master/slave.

> [...] Is there any problem with running X as the main operating system
> from a slave drive [...]

None. From the user perspective, there's no difference between master
and slave settings -- those terms are purely historical, they don't
imply subordination.

> I thought I'd use the OS X disk to partition it when I install.

You can; whether you should or not depends on your needs.