[X Newbies] Pine to Eudora migration

Scott scott-xlists at scotist.com
Fri May 21 20:35:15 PDT 2004

There are utilities to do this, but in a pinch you can do it in
Terminal. Normally I don't recommend Terminal fixes on the Newbies
list. I assume, however, that most folks using pine has at least a
passing familiarity with command line usage.

1.  Copy the pine mailbox to the Eudora mail folder, changing newline
characters to carriage returns:

cd ~/Documents/Eudora\ Folder/Mail\ Folder

tr   '\n'   '\r'  < ~/mail/name_of_mailbox >name_of_mailbox

Set the correct type and creator codes:
/Developer/Tools/SetFile  -c "CSOm" -t "TEXT" name_of_mailbox

Launch Eudora.

This is roughly the reverse of what I did in migrating from Eudora to
Mail a couple of years ago, before Mail.app had a decent Eudora import
function. Migrating from Eudora to Mail requires changing returns to
newlines, but does not require setting type/creator code.

--
Scott