Appleworks and OS X

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Sun May 23 17:22:41 PDT 2004

Anne:

This e-list dropped me about a week ago and I had problems getting back on.
I do not know exactly where you are in this thread.  But I'll try to address
your questions in general.

Anne Keller-Smith <earthpigz at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Friday, May 21, 2004, at 12:01 AM, C. Russell wrote:
>
>> The update to a complete 10.2.8 including itunes, Quicktime, iphoto
>> etc is a very large file and will take some time...Consider the option
>> of a clean  install before an update.

What I missed here with the stoppage in X Newbies Digests is the connection
between updating to 10.2.8 and clean install.  I do not know whether clean
install here refers to 10.2.8 or a version upgrade, like Panther.

> Is there a checklist of what to do to keep all drivers and so forth,
> how to archive, etc.?
> Especially, how to ensure mail, bookmarks, Palm user files, drivers,
> etc. can be kept
> and returned?
>
> My Missing Manual says clean install on OSX not necessary? Can you
> elaborate?

Clean install is now shorthand for what Apple calls "Archive & Install."
When you take that option, all the things you mentioned are left untouched.
Your Home folder is untouched.  Archive & Install of a version of OS X seems
to be the best and safest choice for most people.  The other install options
have caused problems.

> Do any of the manuals have a comprehensive list on what to do. I need
> Step-by-Step.

Go by the .pdf file (what used to be called "Read Me") that comes with the
software.  Also, brouse through Apple's Support pages for software topics
related to what you want to do.

> Also, I'm on dialup and have had no success getting uncorrupted files.
> Is there any other
> way? (Other than letting my brother d/l on Windows and mailing me a CD).

If that worked before, why not?  If it did not work, someone here may be
glad to collect downloads from Apple, burn a CD, and send it to you.  I
could do that.

> In light of the security update, maybe I have to.
>
> Could I choose to just update? Will I lose anything if I do it? As I
> recall, going from
> OS 10.1 to 10.2 was pretty effortless, but then I didn't do a clean
> install there.
>
> Also don't want to eliminate my scanner, which I notice has no OSX
> driver, the lastest
> one they have is for 9. I use it through Classic.

Your classic things are not affected.

Good Luck,

--
Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,