volume control

Robert rnuzum at verizon.net
Mon May 24 21:32:38 PDT 2004

Anyone out there with an iMic attached to external speakers and
microphone. Since the  last upgrade to 10.3.3, I believe, the volume
of the computer cannot be controlled. iTunes volume is controllable
with its slider. I can also mute the sound with the keyboard but
neither the keyboard nor the control in systems preferences has any
effect on the volume. It  remains loud. When I disconnect the iMic and
use the built in speakers which are woefully inadequate  I can control
the sound via keyboard and preferences. I have trashed the sound
preferences, run disk utility and corrected permissions. No change.
There are references to this  problem in Apple's support discussion
section with no solution.
Any other suggestions appreciated, Bob