[X-Newbies] Re: Terminal problem WAS: Opener Malware

Charles Martin chasm at mac.com
Thu Nov 11 12:33:13 PST 2004

> From: Mark Des Cotes <mark at astroprinting.com>
>
> After reading some posts about Opener Malware I decided to start up
> Terminal to check to see if I had it. Upon opening all I get is a very
> small window just big enough for the red "close window" button to
> appear. No matter what I try I can't get anything other than that tiny
> window. Anyone have any ideas what I can do?

Mark:

Lucky for you, I have had that EXACT same problem, and figured out how
to solve it.

The problem is caused by your having turned off a font the Terminal
application REQUIRES. You may have done this in Font Book or some other
font manager, but Terminal will be inoperative until you restore it. I
don't know which one it is, but you'll turn back on the "old" system
fonts you turned off, you'll probably get Terminal working again.

But in the meantime, I'll save you some time: you don't have the Opener
malware. Nobody on this list does. It's never been reported "in the
wild."

_Chas_

"The concentrating [of the legislative, executive and judicial powers]
in the same hands is precisely the definition of despotic government."
- Thomas Jefferson