[X-Newbies] IP Addresses

Miles Cannon fxmac at uaf.edu
Fri Nov 12 07:33:04 PST 2004

On 11/12/04 6:07 AM, "Chris Walker" <chris at mymac.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On 12/11/04 Vincent Cayenne wrote:
>> Private addresses (as defined in RFC 1918
>> <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1918.html>)
>>  10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255
>>  172.16.0.0 - 172.31.255.255
>>  192.168.0.0 - 192.168.255.255
>
> Thanks for this Vincent.  My interpretation of the RFC is that I can more
> or less use whatever I like, but to avoid conflicts I should use the ones
> above.

The address ranges above are not routed and thus will not cause an IP
address conflict with some other machine on the internet. Addresses outside
of the above ranges are routed/routable and will be a problem. Basically, if
you only have a home network and it is not connected to the internet, then
feel free to assign whatever number you wish, but if there is a connection
to the internet you would be best served to use the addresses above.
Miles