[X-Newbies] Transferring files: G3-iMac G 5?

Richard Bienvenu BienvenuR at missouri.edu
Sat Oct 2 06:33:42 PDT 2004

I _think_ that the best (quickest) way is to use Ethernet cable and
create a 2 mac network for file transfer. However, I've got
conflicting information on what sort of cable to use. The iMac
"User's Guide" says that "you don't need a crossover cable to connect
to other Ethernet devices." However, the piece of cable that hooks my
office machine to our LAN (a Cat 5 patch) doesn't seem to do the job
when I hook the iMac and the G3 together--no files show up on the
iMac.

Could it be that the G3 does require a crossover cable?

Thanks,
Richard Bienvenu