[X-Newbies] How to reduce Modem speed

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Sat Sep 18 11:06:14 PDT 2004

deetya at cbn.net.id said:

>I asked my ISP, and the very first thing they said was to reduce the speed
>of the modem.
>
>Now, how do I do that? There's no modem speed dialog panel around, right?
>So how do I reduce the modem? Change the modem type in the Internet
>Connect Preferences Modem Tab?

You can try selecting a different modem script among those provided with
OS X, one for a V.34/28.8 modem (28,800 bps) should do, but such a script
may not be entirely satisfactory for your modem in other ways, as it was
not intended for your particular modem.

The best way to force your modem to connect at some lower maximum speed
is to open the modem script for your modem (the modem script exists as a
separate file on your hard drive, do a Find for the folder Modem Scripts)
 in a text editor like TextEdit, find the modem initialization string in
that script,

The modem initialization string will look something like:
write "AT&F1E0W2S95=45S0=0&D3S7=60\13"

...add the command to limit the maximum connection speed, save the script
file, then use a utility to change the type and creator of the file back
to what it had been before you saved it with TextEdit.

To do this you will need the Hayes (i.e. "AT") command set, including the
list of extended commands, for your particular modem.  You can find that
here:

You will need to figure out which modem script you are using.  Make a
copy of it to modify (so that you can fall back to the original if it is
ruined.)

You will need a utility that sets type and creator codes.
Drop Typer is a good free choice:
http://www.tabberer.com/sandyknoll/more/droptyper/droptyper.html

I hope this helps.

Randy B. Singer