[X-Newbies] Anti Virus Software

Chris Walker chris at mymac.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 30 01:19:33 PDT 2004

Hi Randy:
Thanks for the rapid response.

>Note that it is highly unlikely that you might unwittingly transfer a
>Windows virus to a Windows-using colleague.  Windows-only viral e-mail
>attachments that you receive can just be trashed, they are easy to spot,
>so it isn't at all likely that you will be re-sending them.
Looked at that way I can see your point.  Unless I actively attach one to
an e-mail there is little possibility of it happening.  The only ones
that ever get a look are those that appear to come from someone I know
and then the subject line usually gives it away.

> Files that
>show up with macro-viruses can be blocked by setting "Macro Virus
>Protection" in Word's preferences.  Any unknown macro can be deleted in
>Word.
I have the macro virus protection set already, must admit I didn't
realise that unknown macros could easily be deleted.  Is this true of
Word 2004 as well as Vx?

>You aren't going to be a go-between for transfering Windows applications,
>are you?   So VirusBarrier should be all that you need.  The "problem" of
>Macs being carriers and spreaders of Windows viruses is a myth
>perpetuated by Windows biggots.
I'm not a go-between for Windows apps but I do swap Word documents with
colleagues.  I try to avoid Word as much as I can but sometimes I have no
choice.

cheers,

Chris