[X-Newbies] G3 and upgrade problems?

John McGibney ensignjd at optonline.net
Thu Sep 30 05:46:01 PDT 2004

> [X-Newbies] G3 and upgrade problems?
> Gen Hadlow Mac Impact Dbn  ghadlow at iafrica.com
> Thu Sep 30 03:11:40 PDT 2004
>
> Machine is a blue and white G3 300mhz with 256mb ram.
>
> Have upgraded to a 40gb hard drive and put in a Sony CD-Writer.
> Installed system 9.2.2 and installed Panther up to 10.3.3
> After installing 10.3.5 the machine has a serious kernel panic on start up.
>
> Have had to start again - but only upgrading to 10.3.3
>
> There does not seem to be any outstanding firmware updates required that I
> can tell - took it to a friend who has ADSL and hooked it up on the network
> to check for software updates on both 9.2.2 and 10.3 there was no firm ware
> upgrades besides some itunes & iPod updates.
>
> When I check on the firmware of the machine its Apple PowerMac 1,11.1f4 boot
> Rom built on 04/09/00 @ 13.57.32 Open Firmware 3.1.1
>
> I have also swopped out the ram but that made no difference to the problems.
>
> Is there any other issues that I should look into to fix this problem?
>
> Regards
> Gen

There is an issue with the 10.3.5 upgrade and 3rd party ram. Remove 3rd
party modules, install the update and reinstall the ram.

You can also run the hardware test CD to check for iffy ram. There is also a
3rd party app to check ram at versiontracker.com. I'm sorry but I don't
recall the application's name offhand.

John
--
I explained the facts of life to my teenagers tonight.
My insulin keeps me alive;