[X-Newbies] Anti Virus Software

Randy B.Singer randy at macattorney.com
Thu Sep 30 09:44:20 PDT 2004

Steven Rogers said:

>> I have the macro virus protection set already, must admit I didn't
>> realise that unknown macros could easily be deleted.  Is this true of
>> Word 2004 as well as Vx?
>
>That sounds useful - but which option is it? I looked at the security
>panel in Word preferences - is "warn before opening a file that
>contains macros" the option you're talking about?  Doesn't sound like
>it . . .

In Word v.X it is called "Macro Virus Protection" and it is in Word's
Preferences.  I imagine what you are referring to is the same thing in
Word 2004.  What it does is keep any macro from running automatically
when you launch a document with an embedded macro, giving you the option
of letting it run or not.

If you encounter a macro that you either didn't create, or didn't expect,
then you simply don't let it run.  If you suspect the macro of being
malicious, you just delete it.  In Word v.X you can delete the macro
under:

Tools menu --> Macro --> Macros...--> choose the macro in the list -->
click on the Delete button.

Word 2004 is likely similar.

Randy B. Singer

http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html