[X-Newbies] Shared Windows XP Compaq IJ600 printer problems

MnVikes mnvikes at verizon.net
Sat Apr 2 09:28:16 PST 2005

Hello all, I've been a member of the list for about 2 weeks, trying to
pick up some pointers and now I've (finally) got my own Mac to run OS
X. The transition to OS X from XP has been both frustrating and
gratifying. A solution to the main source of my frustrations is the
purpose of this email.
My printer is directly attached to a WinXP  box which is "workgrouped".
I've followed the directions found on the following web page to print
from OS X.
http://blog.serendipity-software.com.au/archives/2005/03/26/printing-
to-windows-shared-printers-from-mac-os-x/
The symptom I'm having using the above instructions is the SAME that I
have had using the more intuitive method  which the print setup wizard
uses (a "generic post script printer")  - the printer doesn't print
anything, HOWEVER the document IS seen by the Windows machine - the
print queue shows a "downlevel" document for a few seconds and then
NOTHING - the printer seems to ignore it.  The printer is a Compaq
IJ600 - which to my understanding was manufactured by Lexmark. If
anyone has a solution I'd be very grateful.