[X-Newbies] Slooooooow Finder startup at boot.

Brian Durant globetrotterdk at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 00:26:32 PDT 2005

Almost everytime I boot my G5 (a couple of times a day), I get the
desktop background image, the dock and a spinning wheel kaleidoscope
thingy. It can sometimes take up to 3-7 minutes before my desktop
icons show up and the dock registers the Finder running by placing a
little triangle under the Finder icon (in the dock).

Sometimes I have to restart the computer a couple of times before the
finder starts performing properly for a couple of times, before it is
up to its old tricks again. Other times a restart or shutdown will not
work until I have forced the Finder to restart.

Is this a known issue and what can I do about it? I am using OS X
10.3.8. I have to shutdown my machine every time I am finished using
it as we get a lot of power outages here in Jakarta. My UPS (APC) only
protects me from the worst as the G5 seems to drain the battery a lot
faster then my old Win 2K/Linux box did.

Cheers,

Brian