[X-Newbies] Application Failures in OS 10.3.8

Jon Warms jwarms at mac.com
Mon Apr 18 13:15:29 PDT 2005

Congratulations. You accomplished the equivalent of a
heart-lung-brain transplant on your computer, and it
still lives. But barely.

The most important change is the processor upgrade
(from a G3 to a G4). You should check the upgrade
vendor's website for anything that has to be modified
or added to the stock configuration to make that
particular upgrade work. Does the vendor say that
Panther will or will not work with the upgrade?

Are you confusing OS9 with OS10? AFAIK, from the factory,
all G3 Macs started in OS9. Did you install classic or OS9
on your "new Mac"?

In the Startup Disk preference panel, which OS has
been selected as the startup disk? If you're happy
with that selection, then multiple OS folders on that
disk won't be a problem. (I think you should get more
and better answers from your professional. ;-) )

I can't understand how you can have a corrupt system
or system folder. The normal way to install a new hard
drive requires you start the machine from Apple's CD
and use the CD to install the operating system on
the new hard drive. In my experience with new drives,
the OS will either install ok or will quit the install with
an error of some sort. So if OS X installed, it should
work fine, leading me to wonder if someone moved
things around, or if there's confusion about what apps
will run with OS X.

What to do? I recommend you first verify the processor
upgrade has been successfully installed. That's the most
major change you can make to any Mac, and you
should check with the vendor about potential glitches.

If you haven't been able to do anything with the
"new Mac", consider starting over with the hard drive
system install. Use Disk Utility to erase and
repartition the drive, then check the drive and - if
it's ok - reinstall Panther.

You may have to use ExPostFacto
<<http://www.versiontracker.com/php/feedback/article.php?
story=20040901224341884>>
to get a good install.

BTW, what processor upgrade was it? Vendor?
And which G3?

Good luck.

Jon