[X-Newbies] Re: iMac - audio input

Michele Forrester macuzr at insightbb.com
Thu Apr 28 12:10:06 PDT 2005

On 4/28/05 Alex wrote:

>But of course, that's not enough. Because, to restore the audio
>signal correctly, the RIAA equalization also needs to be applied to
>the phono signal.
>With the iMic/Final Vinyl, the process goes roughly like this:
>
>phono signal -> iMic (ADC -> preamp) -> digital signal -> RIAA -> audio file
>
>With the dedicated system it goes like this:
>
>phono signal -> phono preamp (-> RIAA) -> iMic (-> ADC) -> digital
>signal -> audio file
>
>The difference may appear minor, but it's actually crucial for sound
>quality when you take into consideration what's involved.
>
>So, can you get sound directly from the average turntable to the
>iMic? Sure, with the correct interconnects, no problem. What is a
>problem is the sound quality obtained like this. Maybe it's better
>than tapping the sound from the headphone output, but, if it is,
>it's not by much. So, if you care about your music, you definitely
>do not want to connect the iMic to the turntable rather than the
>phono stage preamp.

Ok, incoming stupid question...what IS a preamp?? I have a turntable
attached to a stereo system...is the stereo system like a preamp? In
otherwords, you wouldn't want to attach this to JUST a phonograph -
using it like speakers, you would want to connect it to the setup
with speakers, etc.? Or am I not understanding?

Thanks for clarifying...I appreciate it as I am going to be doing this soon!

Michele